In 2002, at their Annual Meeting, the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops drafted a landmark document in response to the crisis of sexual abuse of children in the Church. This document, setting forth their agreed upon responsibilities in combating the problem, was entitled theCharter for the Protection of Children and Young People. In the Charter all dioceses are required to implement "Safe Environment" programs within each parish. Click here read the Charter and learn more about the Child and Youth Protection services of the USCCB.
In compliance with the Charter, the Archdiocese of OKC requires anyone in the parish who has regular contact with youth (under the age of 18) to undergo Safe Environment Training before being allowed to help with our young people. This program is to help prevent any incidents of abuse in our parish and at any of our parish events. It will also allow us all to be aware of characteristics of abuse in children and predators so we may hopefully prevent further abuse in our community.
At St. Mark, we require anyone who participates in any of our ministries to comlete the Safe Environment Training BEFORE participating in the ministry. This includes (but is not limited to) all members of: Religious Education catechists, Youth Group helpers, chaperones, SVdP, Choir, ALL Lay Ministers, Visitations committee, MDO workers, and Nursery workers.
To be in full compliance with the Safe Environment office, each employee/volunteer must complete each of the following and have the information on file at St. Mark.
- Attend a Safe Environment Training seminar
- Complete the Archdiocesan Application for Employment or Volunteer Services (download in PDF format)
- Submitting your application triggers a local and nationwide background check
- A signed statement of receipt and agreement to abide by the Archdiocesan Code of Conduct (download in PDF format)
- Complete three (3) Safe Environment Reference Information forms (download in PDF format)
Please contact, Aimee Bradley, our Safe Environment Facilitator at 366-7676, with any questions or to set up an appointment to complete the training.