This ministry provides an opportunity to feed the hungry in our community. You are invited to bring non-perishable groceries, each week and place them in the grocery cart (in the coat closet, just off the narthex). A list of most needed items and updates are listed in the bulletin. Daily Bread also sponsors Thanksgiving, Lenten, and summertime food drives as well as St. Mark’s Advent Tree project. Through your loyal and continued support, we are able to reach out to many agencies and individuals. Daily Bread deals directly with several charitable organizations in the Norman area including the following:
- Aging Services represents elderly and disabled clients who live in their own homes. We provide food assistance on a monthly basis and through the Thanksgiving and Lenten food drives. We also provide food for the “Emergency Meal Pack” program that helps clients in case of violent weather. Aging Services is also a part of the Advent Tree project each year.
- Birth Choice works with pregnant women, mothers and children in a variety of ways. In 2017, we have pledged to provide items throughout the year: formula, diapers, wipes, baby food and clothing for babies and toddlers. Birth Choice is also included in the Advent Tree project
- Bridges helps high school and college students who live alone due to a family crisis. Daily Bread has pledged up to $1000 in food support in 2017 for these individuals.
- OKC Housing Authority helps adults and children in the OKC area with housing issues. Daily Bread donated $600 towards an after school feeding program in conjunction with the YMCA for at risk children. Healthy food items including fresh fruit, yogurt and vegetables were purchased. Children are allowed to “shop” for donated sports items while also choosing free healthy snacks products from an after school “store” using currency earned by making good choices at home and school.
- Meals on Wheels delivers nutritious meals to seniors in Norman Monday thru Friday. Daily Bread donated $1000 to a grant program which helps provide meals for seniors who may not be able to pay for these meals.
- Salvation Army provides meals and food to citizens through an on site feeding program and a food pantry. Daily Bread delivers food 3-4 times a month which helps stock their pantry. Food is also donated through the Thanksgiving and Lenten food drives.
- Sanctuary is a day shelter for women in need. Bottled water and food are provided on a regular basis and upon request. Christmas dinner and Easter treats have also been donated in past years Gifts are provided for the women including coats, gloves, cologne sets and purses. Sanctuary is also included in the Advent Tree project.
- The Veterans Center has been included in the Advent Tree project for many years. On average, 100 veterans are included in this effort.
- Food for Friends feeds the hungry in our community. Daily Bread purchases milk on a weekly basis for the Food for Friends agency. The ministry has also purchased food used in the preparation of meals for clients of the agency for a long period of time.
- Individuals and parishioners are given food or gift cards for the purchase of food especially during the Thanksgiving or Advent seasons.
Please watch the bulletin and contact the parish office at 405.366.7676 for more information.